Sunday 17 February 2013

Scutarii Completed

Finished just in time to fight Romans on Tuesday.  Figures by Companion Miniatures, and shield transfers by Little Big Men Studios.
These have turned out completely unlike the image I had in mind.  I had always thought of Iberians as quite clean and almost pretty, the kind of lovely figures produced by the likes of Crusader Miniatures or 1st Corps.
As soon as I saw these guys, I knew they wouldn't be like that.  There is an incredible variety of types of headgear and armour, and each type comes with four poses.  Two are variations on men throwing their spears, and two of guys carrying them.
I think they look nasty rather than pretty, and I can imagine why they were so capable of giving the Romans a really hard time.  Just to reinforce the point, I gave some of them captured Roman legionary shields with the same design I used for my Latin legions.  Originally, I was intending to use a range of off-white colours for the tunics, but when I saw the armour types I decided to stick with basic whites to tie them all in.
There are four 48-figure units, massed together for the final photo above.  It took me two months to get this lot together, which is probably twice as many as I would normally paint in that timescale.  I have never painted these types before, and I must say that I really enjoyed them - completely different from phalangites or Romans.  Having said that, I need a bit of a break before returning to this army, so it will be some early medieval command stands next, I think.

14 comments:

  1. They look superb massed like that. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those shields look great, and the overhead shot is really impressive! Nicely done!

    You mentioned these figures came out more ragtag than parade ground pristine, which I really like. Almost like a Celtiberian or Celtic influence. I never considered doing that with my Spaniards. I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Funny you should mention Celtiberians, John, I have a load of those to do as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very impressive! A great army, fantastic work!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Scutarii, those Companion Spanish are one of the nicest ranges around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look like an army! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for looking, everyone, and for the kind comments.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really fantastic looking, and huge, units. I love scutari shield patterns, and it appears these cover all of them! Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love what you have done with these. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah! That's really looking the part. Fab job as usual. Those big units...Oh man, you can't beat those BIG units.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely missed this....fixed by following.

    I have a huge soft spot for the Iberians and Sertorius as well. You've brought it to life in an epic manner. 200 figs in 60 days? :-)

    The mix of figures and Roman shields is brilliant, as was a single color for tunics. Perhaps the highest compliment I can give is, now I want to paint them too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheers, Monty, glad you likes 'em. I was on holiday for two weeks, so I suppose that helped!

    ReplyDelete